Providing Assistance To Families Who Have Suffered A Terrible Loss
Losing a loved one is never easy, but when their death is the result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, it can be especially difficult to come to terms with. Our wrongful death attorney in Ridgeland MS can help families and loved ones seek justice and compensation for their loss by holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
With years of experience handling wrongful death cases, The Rollins Law Firm has a proven track record of success in securing fair settlements and verdicts for our clients. We work closely with our clients to understand their needs and concerns, and they strive to provide compassionate and personalized legal representation.
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct, our wrongful death attorney may be able to help you seek the closure and compensation you deserve. Speak to us today to learn more about this important area of law and we can assist you in your time of need.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a legal term used to describe a situation in which a person’s death is caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional act of another party. A wrongful death can occur in a variety of situations, such as car accidents, medical malpractice, workplace accidents, and criminal acts.
When a wrongful death occurs, the surviving family members and dependents of the deceased person may be able to seek compensation for their loss through a wrongful death claim. The purpose of a wrongful death claim is to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions and to provide financial support for those who have been affected by the loss of their loved one.
To file a wrongful death claim, certain legal requirements must be met, including proving that the death was caused by the negligence or intentional act of the defendant and that the surviving family members or dependents have suffered damages as a result of the death.
Wrongful death cases can be complex and emotionally challenging, and it is important to seek the assistance of our wrongful death attorney in Ridgeland MS who can guide you through the legal process and help you obtain the compensation and closure you deserve.
What Are The Types Of Wrongful Death Cases?
Wrongful death cases can arise in a variety of situations. Here are some common types of wrongful death cases:
- Car accidents: When a person is killed in a car accident that was caused by the negligence of another driver, such as drunk driving or distracted driving.
- Medical Malpractice: When a healthcare provider fails to provide the appropriate standard of care, resulting in the death of a patient. Examples include surgical errors, misdiagnoses, and medication errors.
- Workplace Accidents: When an employee is killed on the job due to unsafe working conditions, defective equipment, or inadequate safety measures.
- Defective Products: When a defective product causes the death of a person, such as a faulty car part or a defective medical device.
- Criminal Acts: When a person is killed as a result of a criminal act, such as murder, assault, or battery.
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect: When a resident of a nursing home dies due to abuse or neglect by staff members or other residents.
- Aviation Accidents: When a person is killed in a plane crash due to pilot error, mechanical failure, or other factors related to the operation of the aircraft.
- Boating Accidents: When a person is killed in a boating accident caused by the negligence of another boater or due to a defective product or unsafe condition on the boat.
- Construction Accidents: When a worker is killed on a construction site due to unsafe working conditions or the negligence of a contractor or subcontractor.
- Pharmaceutical Errors: When a person is killed due to errors in the prescribing or dispensing of medication, such as incorrect dosage or medication interactions.
- Exposure to Toxic Substances: When a person is killed due to exposure to toxic substances in the workplace or elsewhere, such as asbestos, lead, or hazardous chemicals.
Note that this list is not exhaustive and that wrongful death lawsuits can arise in numerous other circumstances. If you have lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence or wrongdoing, our Ridgeland wrongful death lawyer can help you determine whether you have a viable case and guide you through the legal process.
Who Can Be Responsible In A Wrongful Death Claim in Ridgeland, MS?
In a wrongful death claim, the party or parties who may be held responsible for the death of the deceased person are often referred to as the “defendants”. The specific defendants in a wrongful death case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case, but some common examples include:
A person who directly caused the death of the deceased person, such as a driver who caused a fatal car accident, a doctor who committed medical malpractice, or a perpetrator of a criminal act.
A company or organization that contributed to the death of the deceased person, such as an employer, nursing homes, or contractors, who failed to provide a safe workplace or a nursing home that provided inadequate care.
A government agency or official that contributed to the death of the deceased person, such as a city or state agency that failed to maintain safe roads or a police officer who used excessive force.
A healthcare provider, such as a doctor, nurse, or hospital, who failed to provide adequate medical care that led to the death of the deceased person.
A property owner or landlord who failed to maintain their property in a safe condition, leading to a fatal accident, such as a slip and fall or drowning in a swimming pool.
A manufacturer or seller of a product that was defective and caused the death of the deceased person, such as a faulty airbag in a car or a defective medical device.
In addition to the driver who caused the accident, other parties may also be held responsible in a fatal car accident, such as a bar or restaurant that served alcohol to an intoxicated driver.
A thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death is necessary to accurately determine who is to blame for wrongful death. Our Mississippi wrongful death lawyer can assist in locating those accountable for the death and pursuing legal action to make them answerable for their deeds.
How To Prove Negligence In A Wrongful Death Claim?
Legally proving wrongful death is not an easy task. Several elements must be proven to establish a wrongful death claim, including a breach of duty, causation, and damages. The plaintiff has the burden of proof and must show that the defendant’s actions were either negligent or intentional and directly resulted in the death of their loved one.
Proving wrongful death in a legal case requires establishing four key elements:
Duty of Care
The first element in a wrongful death claim is establishing that the defendant had a legal duty of care to the deceased person. This means that the defendant had an obligation to act in a way that would not cause harm to the deceased person.
Breach of Duty
The next element is proving that the defendant breached their duty of care by acting in a way that was negligent or otherwise caused harm to the deceased person.
The third element is showing that the defendant’s breach of duty was the direct cause of the deceased person’s death. This requires proving that the defendant’s actions or negligence was the “proximate cause” of the death, meaning that it was a foreseeable consequence of the defendant’s actions.
The final element is proving that the deceased person’s death resulted in damages, such as loss of financial support, loss of companionship, or funeral expenses.
To prove these elements, evidence such as witness statements, medical records, accident reports, and expert testimony may be used. Our wrongful death attorney at The Rollins Law Firm can help gather and present this evidence to build a strong case for the deceased person’s surviving family members or dependents. Reach out to us today so we can begin gathering evidence to build a compelling case for you.
Who Can Bring A Wrongful Death Claim?
In Mississippi, a wrongful death claim can be brought by the deceased person’s representative on behalf of the deceased person’s surviving family members or dependents.
The personal representative is typically appointed by the court as part of the probate process and is responsible for managing the deceased person’s estate and pursuing legal action on behalf of the estate. The personal representative may be a family member, a close friend, or an attorney.
The surviving family members or dependents who may be eligible to receive compensation in a wrongful death claim include the deceased person’s spouse, children, parents, siblings, and any other relatives who were dependent on the deceased person for financial support.
Laws regarding who can bring a wrongful death claim can vary from state to state, so it is important to consult with our wrongful death attorney in Mississippi who can help you understand the particular laws applicable to your case.
What Is The Legal Process For Filing A Wrongful Death Claim In Mississippi?
In Mississippi, the legal process for filing a wrongful death claim generally involves the following steps:
- Determine eligibility: First, it is important to determine if you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim in Mississippi. Generally, the deceased person’s surviving spouse, children, or parents can file a claim. If the deceased person had no surviving spouse, children, or parents, then siblings may be able to file a claim.
- Hire an attorney: It is recommended that you hire our Ridgeland wrongful death attorney to guide you through the legal process. We can help you gather evidence, determine damages, and negotiate with insurance companies.
- File the claim: Our legal team will help you file a wrongful death claim in the appropriate court in Mississippi. The claim must include a detailed explanation of the events leading up to the death, the damages suffered by the surviving family members, and any evidence that supports the claim.
- Investigation and discovery: After the claim is filed, both sides will engage in an investigation and discovery process to gather evidence and build their cases. This may involve gathering witness statements, reviewing medical records, and deposing witnesses.
- Negotiation or trial: After the investigation and discovery process is complete, the parties may attempt to negotiate a settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, the case will go to trial.
- Verdict and damages: If the case goes to trial, a judge or jury will hear the evidence and make a decision. If the case is successful, damages will be awarded to the surviving family members based on the losses they have suffered as a result of the death.
The specific legal process for filing a wrongful death claim in Mississippi can vary depending on the circumstances. It is therefore important to seek legal advice from our wrongful death attorney in Ridgeland MS who can provide guidance and advice tailored to your particular situation.
What Are The Potential Outcome Of A Wrongful Death Claim In Ridgeland MS?
If you file a wrongful death claim in Mississippi and are successful, you may be entitled to various types of damages. Some potential outcomes of a successful wrongful death claim in Mississippi include:
- Compensation for economic damages: Economic damages may include the deceased person’s lost wages and benefits, as well as any medical expenses incurred before death.
- Compensation for non-economic damages: Non-economic damages may include the deceased person’s pain and suffering, as well as any emotional distress experienced by surviving family members.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, the court may award punitive damages to punish the responsible party for particularly egregious or reckless behavior.
- Settlement: In many cases, the parties may choose to settle the claim outside of court. Settlements may involve a lump-sum payment or a structured settlement, which pays out damages over a period of time.
The amount of damages or settlement you can obtain will significantly depend on the specifics of your case. To ensure you receive the maximum compensation you are eligible for, our wrongful death attorney in Ridgeland MS can help you estimate your total damages and loss. Contact us today to know more.
Why Do I Need A Wrongful Death Lawyer In Mississippi?
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongful act of another person or entity in Mississippi, it may be in your best interest to hire our wrongful death lawyer at The Rollins Law Firm to represent you. Here are some reasons why:
- Experience: Our wrongful death lawyer has experience dealing with cases similar to yours and can navigate the legal system on your behalf.
- Objectivity: Losing a loved one can be emotionally overwhelming, and it can be difficult to make clear decisions. Our legal team can provide an objective perspective and make sure your best interests are represented.
- Knowledge of the law: Wrongful death cases can be complex, and the laws surrounding them vary from state to state. Our team has the necessary knowledge to ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Maximizing compensation: Our wrongful death attorney can help you understand the damages you are entitled to and will work to maximize your compensation.
- Negotiation and litigation skills: If necessary, we can negotiate a settlement or litigate your case in court to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
The Rollins Law Firm understands the impact that a wrongful death can have on families, and we are dedicated to helping you navigate the legal process while seeking justice and compensation for your loss.
Call Our Reliable Wrongful Death Attorney In Ridgeland MS Now!
We understand that losing a loved one is an emotional and difficult experience, and we are here to provide you with the support and guidance you need during this challenging time. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources necessary to navigate the legal system and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
If you have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death in Mississippi, don’t hesitate to contact The Rollins Law Firm today for a free consultation. We are here to help you seek justice and ensure that your loved one’s memory is honored.
Our law firm also provides services in the following practice areas:
Definitely give this place your business, you wont regret it!
I used this firm in April and was blown away by how simple they helped to make the process for me. Every question I had, no matter how repetitive it was, they answered. I worked with Jessica a lot and she was amazing. Very patient and knowledgeable! If i could give them more stars I would. Definitely give this place your business, you wont regret it!
Relieve your financial worries and get you back on the right track!
My wife and I were in an impossible financial situation where over time, we had built up so much debt that we could no longer keep up with all the payments. We were getting further and further behind until we reached out to the Rollins Law Firm for help. They have the knowledge and expertise through their experience to handle our particular situation. Their entire team of professionals are always available to answer questions, explain your options, and then provide the legal service that you need to relieve your financial worries and get you back on the right track! I recommend the Rollins Law Firm to anyone who needs help to deal with financial struggles.
The Rollins Law Firm has made filing for bankruptcy very easy and understandable for me and my husband
The Rollins Law Firm has made filing for bankruptcy very easy and understandable for me and my husband. We are young and clueless about a lot, so having them walk us through literally everything has been great! The staff is wonderful and very responsive. We have never waited long for a call, text, or email back. We want to thank Breanne, Alex, Grayson, and Mr Rollins himself for such a positive experience. Of course, bankruptcy isn’t a good thing but when it’s your only option, this is the firm you want to use! It’s been affordable and quick. We are super pleased with the experience from the time we first called their office til today after filing with them!
I had a wonderful experience
I had a wonderful experience. The staff were nice and very informative. The process was quick and easy. Very affordable for me being a single parent. Would recommend anyone there.
Fast response and professional advice
Fast response and professional advice. Really great to work with and understand what a difficult time in one’s life this is. Will recommend to anyone
The Rollins firm went above and beyond helping me
The Rollins firm went above and beyond helping me with my situation during the on going covid 19 crisis.
Helped me through a very stressful time.
Helped me through a very stressful time. Mr. Rollins and his staff have been very nice and professional. They are always very quick to respond to any questions I may have. I would recommend Rollins Law Firm to anyone.
I’m feeling a lot better about my financial future and thankful for all their help.
I went into Mr. Rollins’ law firm not knowing what to expect. After my first meeting with his team, I knew I made the right decision to contact his office. Everyone was knowledgeable and very willing to answer any questions and prompt with their responses. I’m feeling a lot better about my financial future and thankful for all their help.
They are the most respectful people
They are the most respectful people. They are about their business. I couldn’t have chosen a better Law Firm! I would refer them to anyone! Job well done
Rollins law firm made it easy and less stressful!!!
Some of the nicest people I’ve met. Very patient, kind, and helpful. They helped me through a very difficult situation. Filing bankruptcy is very challenging and the people at Rollins law firm made it easy and less stressful!!! I thank you guys so much for all of your help through this difficult situation!! I will recommend this firm to anyone considering bankruptcy!!
Rollins Law Firm was there every step and explained it all in a way that was easy to understand
This process is a hard decision to make. Rollins Law Firm was there every step and explained it all in a way that was easy to understand. They answered my questions, sent me emails and text messages with information and appointment reminders. There were some videos and a booklet that was very very informational and helpful to me.
They made the process so easy to complete
The Rollins firm assisted me at a very low point in my life. After having a lot of medical issues and expenses, I found myself unable to make ends meet. Mr. Rollings and his staff worked very promptly to help. They made the process so easy to complete.
Rollins Law Firm has gave me hope during a dark time
I was searching the web for information in on filing bankruptcy and discovered Rollins Law Firm. My situation was so uncertain and overwhelming but after consulting with Grayson, Jennifer, and Alex at Rollins Law Firm has gave me hope during a dark time. I am grateful for the help that I received and recommend Rollins Law Firm to anyone that is having difficulty with debt and don’t know where to start. There is a rainbow at the end of every tunnel. 🌈🌈❤️❤️
They answered all my questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for asking them
This firm is amazing Mr. Rollins, Alex, Grayson, Jessica, and the whole crew. They answered all my questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for asking them. I met with a couple of attorneys about my situation and none of them came close to being as thorough as Mr. Rollins, save yourself the time and effort, no need to call a thousand attorneys, choose the Rollins law firm and get your financial life back.
Connect with Us